A premalignant condition such as actinic keratosis can lead to something worse like a squamous cell carcinoma. Squamous cells are affected by this type of skin cancer, and our skin is made up of squamous cells. Having actinic keratosis can heighten one’s risk of having squamous cell carcinoma, so if you are concerned about your health, that actinic keratosis must go once it is diagnosed.
Keratinocytes, when damaged can cause actinic keratosis. The bumpy and scaly trait is contributed by the thickening of the epidermis on the affected part. The name keratosis originated from the word “keratin”. That gives actinic keratosis its rough and bumpy look.
You better be concerned about that actinic keratosis if you don’t want it to turn to something worse. Since the squamous cells are flat, thin cells, they can be easily damaged by UV radiation from the sun. The best way to prevent skin cancer is to be aware of skin lesions such as actinic keratosis.
You can choose from many types of treatments. Also know if you can meet the expense of the treatments, and also how worse your actinic keratosis is.
Actinic Keratosis Removal Treatments
• The most efficient way to have AT removed is through laser surgery. Specifically, CO2 and Er-YAG lasers are used for actinic keratosis.
• Electrocautery is a form of cautery that uses electricity to burn off areas infested with AT.
• With the use of extremely low temperature to disintegrate damaged cells, cryosurgery removes AT. The most popular solution used for this procedure is liquid nitrogen.
• AT can be effectively removed using 5-fluorouracil. The reproduction of anomalous cells is blocked by this cream. There is nothing to worry about its effect to healthy cells since abnormal cells are the real aim of this cream. The treatment using this cream could be very harsh, but the results are satisfying.
• Imiquimod which goes by trade names Aldara or Beselna, is a cream which is classified as an immune response modifier. For the treatment to be effective, you had to be very determined despite the agony you will be suffering.
The abovementioned treatments are just some of the accessible treatments for actinic keratosis. You should consult a dermatologist or doctor before proceeding to a treatment so your overall health would be checked if you can undergo such treatments. You can be sure that your skin cancer risk is lessened if you have that actinic keratosis removed.