Keratosis is caused by over production of keratin. Our hair and nails is made of keratin. This is a factor to keratosis’ coarseness and bumpiness. Whatever kind of keratosis you have, there are many treatments available to cure them. But first you have to consult a dermatologist and get analyzed.
Treatments for Actinic Keratosis
Since actinic keratosis appear like warts, they can be removed by surgery or keratosis removal cream to make them fall off.
• Cryosurgery involves the exposure of affected area to temperature extremes, specifically cold, commonly with liquid nitrogen. Once it is frozen and hard, it is easier to remove.
• In contrast of cryosurgery, electrocautery burns off the affected area.
• Among all treatments, laser is confirmed to be the most effective.
• Aldara is a treatment also used for genital warts, but can also be used for actinic keratosis. It is grouped as an immune response modifier drug.
• 5 Fluorouracil is also used for cancer treatment. This works by inflaming the actinic keratosis and making it fall off by rubbing it on the affected area as a cream or gel.
Treatments for Keratosis Pilaris
Keratosis Pilaris resembles chicken skin. They can also appear like acne. KPs can be hard to manage and remove, and actually there is no real cure for KP.
• The use of creams with Tretinoin, the acid form of vitamin A, or glycolic acid can help alleviate this condition. Acne is treated with the same type of creams. Tretinoin makes skin regenerate in a rapid way, thus, extra keratin won’t be produced on the skin. There will be lesser probabilities of hair follicles getting clogged which results in KP.
• Keratinization can be decelerated by a retinoid called Adapelene. Adapelene also exfoliates deceased skin.
Treatments for Seborrheic Keratosis
Seborrheic keratosis and actinic keratosis are almost the same, but in this case seborrheic keratosis is fatty. Seborrheic keratosis is somewhat associated to the sebaceous glands, thus has greasy properties. Actually, they are harmless but they can make someone feel ugly. To get rid of this, the procedures are stated below.
• Cryotherapy can be effective on thinner cases of SK.
• Curettage employ the use of a curette. The doctor would scrape the SK and sometimes this method is used along with cryotherapy.
• If you want to be sure of success try laser surgery.
• Electrocautery is usually combined with curettage.
Now you are aware of the treatments, it is time to ask your doctor what type of treatment will be suitable for you.